The dehumidifier is a very useful tool in daily life: some mobile air conditioners have a dehumidifier function, but not all. So, what does a dehumidifier do? Do I need to purchase a dehumidifier. What if I already have a mobile air conditioner? Overview.
What is a dehumidifier?
A dehumidifier lowers the humidity of the air in an enclosed environment . Indeed, excessive moisture has adverse consequences for the interior of houses or buildings in general: mold, odors, dust mites, and slow deterioration of the interior .
Some mobile air conditioners have a dehumidifier function. The function is often not very powerful, but that said, it does work to lower humidity in most homes.
For others, a dehumidifier is a very useful tool for regulating indoor air. It filters the air and condenses it to remove moisture. This water is collected in a tank that is emptied several times a week.
What does a dehumidifier do?
Very simply said, a dehumidifier is a box in your house that you use to lower the humidity.
Why would you need to lower the humidity rate in your house? Because humidity is a cause for the development of moisture, cracks, mildew, bacteria and viruses polluting the inside air in your house.
By using a dehumidifier, you lower the humidity rate to an acceptable level, as it liquefy humidity in the air, allowing you to collect it under the state of liquid water.
How to choose a dehumidifier
We still need to answer the question of how to choose a dehumidifier. What do you need to look for to make sure that your dehumidifier that meets your budget and expectations? Here is our advice:
- Do you know your needs: occasional, seasonal, annual? What sized area do you need to dehumidify? What’s your budget? There are dehumidifiers available from $150, but the best can cost up to around $250
- Check with a professional and check our dehumidifier buying guide online
Ready to buy a dehumidifier? With the Air Geeks, we’re here to support you with your choice : check out our dehumidifier comparison table !
FYI: The Air Geeks' top-rated dehumidifiers tested in 2019:|
1. Frigidaire - FAD954DWD : the best of the best (very large rooms)
2. Homelabs - 70 Pint: great value (large rooms)
3. Homelabs – 50 Pint: good brand, good price (avg. rooms)
4. Sunpentown - SD-31E: a very good entry-level option (small rooms)